Tuesday 19 April 2011

Anthro One More Time Knockoff Tutorial

Here's the Anthropologie One More Time Tank, no longer available online so I've had to make myself one for considerably less than the asking price!

Here's how mine came out.. the tassle needs a little ironing to get it the right shape but it's otherwise all good

To make one you'll need:
  • 2 matching tank tops (although contrasting colours could also work)
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • pins
  • contrasting colour threads
1. Cut the back of the spare top off, this will be the material used to form the bow and tassles.

2. Cut 2 strips of the top 2.5" x 20" these will form the tassles. (I kept mine shorter than the originals as I didn't like how low they hung when you wore the top)

3. Sew the tassles together along one of the long edges with a 1/4" seam allowance and pin roughly down the centre of the top in a curvy shape.

4. Move the pins around till they hold the tassles in the right shape, alternate the sides of material that you pin to create the right shape.

5. Sew the tassles onto the top in small stages till you come to a pin then start a new stitch on the opposite side of the tassle.

6. Trim the end of the tassles to a point

7. Cut a piece from the scrap top 5.5" wide from the bottom of the top to the armpit.

8. Sew the short edges together with a 1/4" seam allowance, this will form the main piece of the bow.
9. Cut a piece 3" x 5.5" and pin the edges down, this will form the centre of the bow.

10. Sew the folded edges down.

11. Lay the piece over the centre of the bow and start to pinch the main section into shape.

12. Fold the centre piece, pull tighly an pin in place.

13. Sew the centre piece of the bow so it stays in place and holds the bow in shape.

14. Pin the bow on to the top roughly into the centre.
15. Pin the top of the tassles flat so they sit under 3/4 of the bow centre.
16. Try the top on to ensure everything is pinned in the right place

17. Sew the bow onto the top, working from the back of the top through the back of the bow.

18. Pop a couple of stitches throught the inner layer of the top of the bow (just to makes sure it's held securely to the top and that it sits right when you put the top on).
Here's the finished top :)
Hang it up, admire it and start wearing it!
On the off chance anyone tries this tutorial can I have some pics, just email them to me, I'd love to see them :)

28 comments:

j.goop said...

I like it! Could you possibly post a picture of you wearing it?

WobiSobi said...

Great job.. Looks Fantastic!!

Cindy @ Cinsarah said...

Love it!! So cute!! I just did my own anthro knock off!! I love saving money! :)

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Fabulous job Steph! It looks so good! Thanks for linking it up! I'll be featuring it tomorrow! :)

Megan @ Cut the Craft! said...

LOVE this!

Megan
www.CutTheCraft.com

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower! Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration. I LOVE the shirt too!

Katy @ Lolly Linens said...

This is just lovely! Thank you for sharing!

Blissful & Domestic said...

This is just beautiful. I love the bow. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Very fun! Great tutorial too! :) Love how yours turned out!

Unknown said...

Wow! You matched up the style really close! Love the bow!! Thanks for linking to Fancy This Fridays!!! As always!!!

Melanie said...

Wish I had the guts to try to make a knockoff...I have a fear of my new sewing machine...but must do something soon! This is super cute! I'm your newest follower. Found you at FOTF. I'd love for you to share it on my Tuesday Link Up Party!

Smiles,
Melanie
Reasons To Skip The Housework
Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party
Link up Your Weekly Parties Here

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

i have loved all of your knock-offs of these tanks! they are sooo cute :)

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday :)

Jeanna said...

Cute! I need one of those.

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

Amy said...

I'm gonna try this! Yours came out even cuter than the original. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

send me a pic if u do make one :)

Amanda said...

Your version looks great, I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing such a detailed tutorial.

Unknown said...

Love this. It's darling. I am featuring this today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured' button.

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

What a great idea!
Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
I hope to see you again tomorrow!
xoxo,
Vanessa

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Great job on this tank and very clear instructions. I like your version better than the inspiration version!

I found you via Someday Crafts.

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

I totally rocked this knock-off!! I will be featuring you on this weeks "Amaze Me Monday". thanks for sharing :D

Jaclyn | One Thousand Oaks said...

I featured this on Make it for Less Mondays at Simplycadence.blogspot.com!

Ashlee Marie said...

Thank you so much for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays! I think your knock off turned out GREAT! I'm featuring it today on my blog!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

I featured this on my blog today! Come check it out and grab a button! :) http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/05/your-whims-wednesday-5-and-features.html

Anonymous said...

I have never seen better than this site.

ShannonSews said...

Oh my gosh you are amazing. I absolutely LOVE this bow tank! Just as good, if not better than anthro! And that's a huge compliment. I'm your newest fan!

holywall said...

thanks so much for taking the time to share this - love it! going to try it cutting the tie on the bias so as to make it hang "curvy".
thanks a million! Holly

ashley said...

i think the bow tassels are made using this technique... :P http://www.iammommahearmeroar.net/2010/04/baby-rocker.html with a horseshoe shape strip.. Im going to give it a shot :)

Mai^ said...

do u sell?