Wednesday 2 November 2011

Playing with Precious Metal Clay


Last Saturday I got the chance to spend the day on a course learning to make things with Precious Metal Clay, in this case silver...this was the final part of my birthday present from my other half (yes he took the hint of all the links I sent him regarding courses like this one lol).
Never played with PMC before... in fact I've never even made my own earring wires before so this was a totally new experience for me altogether. Thankfully I came up with m ideas quickly and made them out of plasticine to practice the techniques for rolling out and texturing before I started work on my expensive little blob of PMC.
Several small blobs rolled out later... roll on some lace for texture... use small cookie cutters to get the shapes... punch holes for the ear wires... slip the flower onto the heart... set a cubic zirconia into the flower... then comes the waiting... let it dry out, or use a food dehydrator like we did...
Then we fired them... sorry, sintered them... with a hand torch... by then we had these horrid white powdery shapes... with a bit of force and a wire brush the powder came off revealing the silver underneath... solder a half ring onto the back of the large heart to make it into a pendant... chuck the pieces into a tumbler to remove any leftover powder and VOILA!

 


So what do you all think? I think I need to have another go at making some of these coz I have so many ideas left that I want to make!
 Photobucket

9 comments:

Mimi said...

Those turned out beautiful! I've never tried the PMC but I will definitely have to try it and soon! So glad you shared at What's Up Wednesday!

Shannon Olson said...

Hi, I found your blog on the Cotton and Curls refashion nation and I love it!
Hope your having a good day =)
http://shannonolson.blogspot.com/

Marie said...

Wow they turned out beautiful! Thanks for linking up with us at Show & Share!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Lee Ann said...

wow ! I absolutely LOVE the necklace! I don't wear a lot of jewellery but I would def wear that, it is gorgeous x

Katie said...

These are gorgeous! I would love for you to share with Blog Stalking Thursday! http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2011/11/blog-stalking-thursday-14.html

Kei said...

Those look utterly lovely! It must have been fun and interesting to work with PMC!

Seaweed and Raine said...

Completely gorgeous! I've never heard of PMC before - but it looks like it is brilliant to work with. Enjoy crafting new bits and pieces :)

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

I love these! Never tried PMC, but I want tooo. Turned out beautiful :)

I featured this on my blog tonight! Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday :) Come check it out and grab a button! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/11/your-whims-wednesday-32-and-features.html

Unknown said...

wow this is so pretty, Steph! We are featuring this on the blog, facebook, twitter and pinterest today! Have a lovely weekend!