Tuesday 14 January 2014

Poppy Birthday Cake

In November my nan turned 80, her birthday is the 11th so she has always been into poppies. I took the challenge to make her a birthday cake to celebrate the occasion.
The cake itself is a lemon sponge, similar to that used in a lemon drizzle cake, but I added fresh lemon juice and zest into the cake mix. I cut the sponge into 2 layers and added a layer of strawberry jam to add flavour.
Then I iced and decorated the cake, covering it in poppies. Maybe i should have taken a photo of the state of my hands after rolling the colours Into the icing, I was covered in red dye!
Not bad for my first attempt at icig and decorating a cake without being on a cake decorating course.
She loved the cake so I guess it can be called a success. Even got asked for the sponge recipe...still haven't shared the recipe with anyone though.

Her other favourite thing is giraffes...so I took on the design challenge of making a giraffe themed birthday card too...
 I used: 
  • Zoo Review stamp set
  • Sassy Salutations stamp set
  • Hexagon Punch
Photobucket

No comments: