Sunday 7 November 2010

Butterfly canvas

Less than a week till the big move and here's another piece of new artwork to go on display somewhere in the cottage. I got some new toys on my last trip to hobbycraft and this canvas let me use a few of them :) Not sure where the whole butterfly obsession has come from recently, but now I'm punching them out of every scrap of paper I can find.
So I've used:
  • Small box canvas
  • Tonic studios butterfly punch
  • Flower stencil (made from an old birthday card)
  • 2 x pink inks
  • silver ink
  • mod podge
  • variety of black, pink, white, grey scrapbook paper
  • clear patterned vellum
  • superstrength paper glue

I started by punching out 40 butterflies from my pile of paper and vellum scraps ( got a little carried away actually and punched dozens more out of every colour pretty paper scrap I came across lol). Then I turned to my canvas and used the stencil to ink out the flower background, I'd laid the butteflies on the plain canvas earlier and it looked bland then i found the old card for the flower stencil. After letting the ink dry i applied a coat of mod podge as the silver ink has a habit of smudging and rubbing off on things, then i had to wait overnight before i could add my butterflies.

I'm quite chuffed with the result

, now i just need to decide which room to hang it in when we get ourselves all moved and sorted :)

I'm linking this project to:

A Glimpse Inside - Catch a glimpse

The Shabby Nest - Frugal friday

A Little Lovely - Saturday Soiree

Taterots & Jello - Weekend Wrapup

Bobbypin's Boardwalk - Bragfest

4 comments:

nessy said...

fantastic canvas ~just love all those butterflies ~amazing!
vanessa xx

Linanna DESIGNS said...

How are you Steph? I hope all is going well for you. It has been a while since I visited your blog, sooooo very sorry. You have been busy with gorgeous cards and jewellery!! what a clever girl you are. The shop is keeping me busy, would love you to visit sometime if you get chance! hope your parents are well. Enjoy your evening, hugs Linda x

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph. My name is Jan. This is my first time here and I absolutely LOVE butterflies in general -- yours in particular. What a marvelous project. I have a link party every Tuesday called the Boardwalk Bragfest, and I would be honored if you were to link up. I post the link on Monday evenings.

Anyway, I like your style, so I'm signing up to follow you. Please visit my blog, and I would love for you to sign up to follow me, as well.

You be careful working on those airplanes!

Mindy said...

Wow--pretty!!

http://im-in-the-loop.blogspot.com/