Thursday 21 July 2011

Scarves to Summer Tops

Whilst trawling through H&M over the weekend with mum on our girly shopping trip in Reading I found some awesome print scarves for £1 each so I grabbed one of each colour. One in blue and one in hot pink.... oh and I forgot to mention they are leopard print too! Mum's face when I went over to her was priceless, 'So what do you plan on turning these into then?', guess she knows me too well and knows what I tend to do to scarves... especially when they are cheaper than the fabric would be from a fabric shop!

Having seen all the pins on Pinterest of this Anthropologie top and tutorials on how to make one similar, like over at Sweet Verbena, this is what I decided the scarves had to be refashioned into....


and so they did....

Here's the pink leopard print one, love the yellow and black bits really brings out the print and makes it a little in your face (it's my fave of the 2 prints).
Ok so you can't see the bow in the photos as the print kinda gets lost in itself but I assure you it's there, it's kinda large. Took a photo of me wearing it (not a fab pic was took from my Blackberry by the OH), but you can see it's quite fitted. I had a slight fit doing this one as I cut the material thought it was too small and threw it into a corner till I'd finished the 2nd print slightly larger cut top then realised it would be a good fit after all. another slight difference with this top is that I didn't cut the fabric into 2 rectangles, I made mine like a tube to save losing any precious fabric that I'd need to make the top fit me right.
Here's the 2nd print scarf, leopard print again but a slightly calmer, less in your face colourscheme of blue, lime and white. The bow is a lot easier to see on this one too!As you can tell from the photo it's a lot looser fit than the pink one, but I like it makes them different and means it'll be ideal for the hot days out on our holiday in September. This top was made following the tutorial method of cutting the fabric into 2 rectangles and sewing them together to form the body of the top. The only extra thing I had to do on both tops was sew an edge for the underarms to stop the fabric fraying away.
See crappy British summer weather I defy you, I will still make myself lovely summer tops even if they don't see the light of day till September and then again next summer!


15 comments:

nessy said...

stunning tops!!
vanessa xx

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

They look great! Hope you get to wear them before September!

Katy said...

They look awesome! Love that you repurposed scarves. How resourceful!

Holly Lefevre said...

Fun, flirty and fabulous. I love the look of these tops...great print selections on the scarves too.
Holly
504 Main

Mel Creates Often said...

These tops are beautiful! Nice work. I found you at Truly Lovely's blog hop. I'm a new follower now!

Just Jaime said...

Pretty! Love how flowy they are!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

SO pretty!! I love the cut!!!

Thanks for linking up to “Strut Your Stuff Sunday” on our blog!! We appreciate it!

Kristine
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Sam Findlay said...

How clever! They look great!

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

They look awesome Steph! What fantastic upcyling! I love how you made lots of them to really showcase how pretty they are. Thanks for linking up to the contest. :)

SV said...

So cool! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to try this one with some fabric I've been eyeing at the fabric store :-)

Aimee @ SmallAnchors.com said...

i absolutely fell in love with the sweet verbena top --- thrilled to see you had time to make them... now i need to remember when we move this week that upon unpacking i grab my sewing machine out! :)

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

This turned out really cute!
Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!! I would love it if you joined me again tomorrow! :)
xoxo,
Vanessa

Unknown said...

I really like those! They look super comfy and they are cute and perfect for warm weather.

Katie said...

These look great! I have been wanting to make a top like these... hopefully I can finally find a little bit of time!

Thank you for linking up at Sew Woodsy last week. Hope you'll join us again tomorrow!

Juli said...

This is such a cute idea! I love the colors in that second top and it is really cute on you! Adding this to my list of things to try as well. :-)