Saturday 8 March 2014

Been Baking Bread

I recently went on a bread baking course run by Blackbird Bread, I'd never made bread before so it was a totally new experience for me. Lovely chap, full of enthusiasm for what he does and willing to answer all our questions no matter how daft they were.

 We made a white soda bread just so we could see how quick and easy they really are to make. We even discussed how versatile the soda bread is and how the recipe can be tweaked for wholemeal, brown and flavoured varieties.
 

Then we had a go at making a traditional white loaf...the full 3 hr experience of multiple proving, kneading, shaping and patiently waiting. We experimented with different shapes of loaves and different slashing techniques for our final designs while we waited for the dough to finish proving. Mines the little round in the top left corner of the photo below.
  

Here's my 2 finished loaves..soda bread on the left and white round loaf on the right.

Here's a close up view of the slashing I did on my white loaf, didn't come out quite how I expected but it certainly tasted good!
 I've leanrt enough now to have a go at making my own bread and venture into tweaking recipes to change the grain and flavours too.

Photobucket

No comments: